Most people new to design may have trouble understanding the difference between graphic design vs. web design. Do they mean the same thing or do they need different skill sets? Which option presents many opportunities to freelance designers? This article explores the differences between graphic design vs web design.
While many people don’t understand the difference between graphic design and web design, these professions need different skills. Graphic design primarily focuses on artistic skills, while web design emphasizes programming and web knowledge. But, both fields share a few similarities that we’ll also look at.Are you having trouble choosing between graphic design vs. design? Learn all their similarities and differences to make informed decisions. #graphicdesign #designsquid #webdesign #business #marketing Click To Tweet
What is Graphic Design?
Graphic design is the creation of visual content to pass specific messages. So, graphic designers work by creating graphics and combining typography with photos to present ideas. In the past, graphic designers created logos and print designs such as brochures, posters, book layouts, and magazines. But today, they mainly focus on digital assets.
What is Web Design?
As the name suggests, web design focuses on the visual feel and look of websites. For that reason, web designers focus on improving a website’s user experience, wireframe layouts, and user interface. Notably, web designers also need to understand the basics of typography, layout, color, and hierarchy when designing a website’s user interface.
Similarities and Differences
Here are some of the similarities between graphic design and web design.
- Both graphic design and web design need understanding the basic design fundamentals such as color and typography.
- Both professions require you to stay up to date with the current design trends. It doesn’t matter what type of design you specialize in.
- Both graphic designers and web designers need to be good communicators to understand their clients’ needs and specifications.
Here are the differences between graphic design vs. web design.
- The technical skills for both professions are different. Web designers must be familiar with CSS, HTML, and other web design skills. However, graphic designers don’t have to master such technical skills.
- Graphic design is permanent, while web design is dynamic. For instance, in graphic design, you can’t make changes once printed after designing a poster or book cover. However, web design is a flexible and dynamic medium.
- Graphic design is static, while web design is interactive. With web design, you can interact and navigate through the web pages. On the other hand, graphic design is less interactive. You can touch it, but you can’t change it.
Let Design Squid Handle Your Visual Communication
Now that you understand the similarities and differences between graphic design vs. web design, invest in the type of graphics that matches your needs. Most importantly, it would be best to work with professional designers like Design Squid to improve your visual communication. It doesn’t matter whether it is graphic or web design.
Contact us today for affordable web and graphic design solutions.